Friday, August 26, 2011

Christmas in July! (or August in this case)

Yes, I know I have been slacking the past few weeks. It's kind of been crazy for me! Falon has started school and Rhylon's surgery has snuck up on us so quickly, I feel like I haven't even had time to breathe!

Christopher's Birthday was on the 15th.. the old man is now 33! LAWL. We went and spent the day in San Antonio and ended with dinner at the Green Mesquite, but not the original one so I imagine it wasn't as good. We stopped by the Bass Pro Shops and got some new stuff for the fam, it really was such a wonderful day. We don't get to do much anymore due to schedules being hectic and different, and the days that we have time, we relax (as best we can)! Speaking of birthdays, my great niece, Marlee Rae, turns 3 today! I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. I can't believe she's growing up so quickly! I hate that we're missing her birthday party tomorrow :( but with the surgery being on Monday, the bottom line is we weren't able to afford driving out there. HOWEVER, we WILL be making it up to her in every way we can. Karah, if you're reading this, give my baby girl lots of love from her Emmi and Bubba, we miss and love you guys tons!

Falon has started school!! Today is her 5th day, and you would think she's been going for years! It was such a bittersweet moment, I tried my best not to cry when I left her, but I did tear up. As soon as we got there, she was quick to make us leave. "Okay, I'm here, you guys can go now!" She loves her desk, her teachers, and already knows a couple of students from the neighborhood. The first thing she told me when she got home from her first day of school was there was a boy named Preston in her class and that she likes him. Whaaaa? Good thing her daddy didn't hear that.. But, she does have a new BFF now, Morgan. Apparently they've already coordinated what they're gonna be wearing the next day so they can match. So cute. If we can do a birthday party for her this year, it'd be awesome to have her friends from school now. The other day, she told me that a lil girl cried in school because she missed her mom, and when I asked her, "Well, what about you?", her response was "Oh, I was fine, mom." *blinks* Wow.. such rejection. Despite me hating the fact that she's so independent (don't get me wrong, I love it, too), I really am very excited for her and so happy that she's excited, too!

Rhylon just hit the 5 month age mark a couple of days ago.. how the crap did that happen?? What have I done in the last 5 months, I can't even remember because it's passed by so quickly. I'm super nervous about his surgery on Monday, but it needs to be done. I know it's routine, I just HATE to put my baby boy through something like this. Work isn't going to let me take off more than a week, so I'm hoping he's in the home stretch the second week of healing. I hate to leave him when he needs me, but I also gotta keep a roof over his head. I'm hoping the next 2 weeks go by just as fast as the last 5 months have! This is not a part of his life that I want to remember!

So next month, a friend is having her birthday party and to say that I'm super stoked about it would be a total understatement. We're totally gonna have a blast, we're gonna get some new tats, have some drinks! I will be posting pictures to my FB as soon as I can!!

Alright, let's move on..

*Drumroll, please* Aaaaaand, the Crinkles recipe! This is Christopher's favorite cookie, it's not necessarily a Christmas cookie, but Christopher's mom always made it for Christmas and that's the only time he ate them. He says they don't taste right any other time of the year. However, I love these cookies, and so do pretty much every one at work, so I showed off my baking skills and brought them and shared the glory!

What you need:

2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of canola oil
2 tsp of vanilla
4 oz. of melted unsweetened chocolate squares
4 eggs
2 cups of AP flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the sugar, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, then finish with the flour, baking powder and salt. This is a pretty thick mixture, so mix it for a while for good measure. Refrigerate the dough for AT LEAST 4 hours or overnight (I find the cookies turn out better if left overnight), or if you're in a bind, in the freezer for at least an hour.

Get yourself a cookie sheet, and make sure it's heavily greased. I'm not talking a light coating, but don't get all crazy. You might need to make this recipe a few times before you figure out how thick a layer you want. I will use shortening and spread it on with a baking brush. If you don't put enough, the cookies will stick and not turn out right.. if you put too much, the powdered sugar will soak it all up and ruin the cookie.

Put the cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl or a plate. Now roll the dough into 1" balls and cover completely in the sugar, you want a thick layer of the powdered sugar on them. Then place on the cookie sheet about 2" apart.

Bake about 10 minutes (my oven requires 11.5 minutes - no joke, it's that precise), and DO NOT over bake. I wouldn't recommend going over 12 minutes, and that's even pushing it. These cookies are VERY sensitive and you will soon know why I only make these a couple times a year. As the cookies bake, the powdered sugar will crack on the top; be sure to immediately remove them from the oven and onto a cooling sheet. Cover in an airtight container cause these suckers will dry out quick.

These are some messy cookies, and some might say that the powdered sugar isn't REALLY powdered sugar cause they are SOOOO addicting and amazing, and delicious. Imagine a thick brownie cookie covered in powdered sugar. There are no words.

Enjoy the awesomeness that is a Crinkle below! (These had just come out of the oven and currently cooling off, they're teasing me!)




No comments:

Post a Comment