Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Snickerdoodles? Yes, please...

Look at me, I'm already slacking. I said I would try to post every week and it's almost been two.. oops! Sorry all, hopefully you didn't go through any sugar withdrawals, because have no fear, it's back with a vengence.

First of all, I would like to say that there is not much out there that is more beautiful than a nursing baby. Rhy is eating right now and if I could take a snapshot of him, I would. He won't stop grinning ear to ear towards me and it just makes every struggle we're going through go away. My children are happy and healthy and that's all I need to know.

Just to catch up on the last week and a half.. not too much has really happened. Baby boy is still not sleeping through the night, so I'm still exhausted all the time! I have to work tomorrow and then go out of town for our FOUR year wedding anniversary. Yes sirs and ma'ams, that's right.. FOUR years. Going to Bridge City to be with family and spending Saturday in Louisiana for a good friends wedding. I'm so excited!

Oooh, you know what? We DID do something rather fun last week! Christopher and I watched Addison, daughter to close friend, Mr. Adam Young. While my house is rather boring, I suggested we go check out the new splash park in Leander. (It's more Cedar Park, but what do I know?) At $1 per person/day, how could entertainment get any cheaper?? The girls had a BLAST and baby Rhy got some sun and actually enjoyed himself, as well. If you haven't gone yet and have been thinking about it.. do it! It's located at Williamson County Regional Park - 305 CR 175, right near the Parmer/1431 intersection. Be sure to bring cash and snacks and/or lunches. The payment system doesn't accept credit cards yet, and while they have sno-cones.. the food selection there isn't great. Nachos, hot dogs and such. Stuff that will make the kids lethargic in this ridiculous heat, so bring food! Also, bring sand toys as they have a huge sand pit on one side.

Okay, maybe I lied and we did do some stuff and more happened than I remember. My cousin, Barbara, has been in Texas visiting from California for the last few days. I haven"t seen her in almost 7 years, so it was great to catch up. Barbara and I were never close, as she was always close with my brother.. but I've grown up. Gone and still going through life experiences that any typical 25 year old wouldn't have yet. We had lunch yesterday and I think it was real good for the both of us. She wouldn't stop saying how proud she is of me and the woman I've become, which means a lot to me. Before Falon, my whole life, I was never accused of being mature. I was almost a joke in the family because I wasn't like everyone else.. I've been through a lot as far as my immediate family goes and knowing where I am today.. I am a much stronger and independent person because of it. Anyway, she's going through her own struggles and feels she has a lot to learn from me. ME?! I was shocked, but I understood. I regret not keeping in touch with that side of the family (my mom sister and her 7, or is it 8, kids) and I hope I keep up with them from this point on. Nothing is more important than family.  That's enough for now before I get too emotional!


My cousin, Barbara, with Falon

So, now to get on to the good stuff! My snickerdoodle recipe! Well, not mine, personally.. but one I found online. I looked for this recipe because almost every other dessert recipe I have calls for 2 sticks of butter. At the time, I didn't have 2 sticks, just the one. Now, don't be fooled! This is in no way, shape or form any healthier cause it needs shortening as well Lol!

What you need:
2 3/4 cups of AP flour
1 tsp of baking soda (not powder!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of shortening
1 stick of softened, unsalted butter
1 1/2 sugar
2 eggs

And for the coating: In a separate bowl, mix together 3 tbs of sugar with 1 tbs of cinnamon. Personally, I use about 1/2 to 3/4. tbs of cinnamon since we don't like a strong cinnamon flavor.
Preheat the over to 350 degrees.

For the shortening, I use this SUPER handy Adjust-A-Measure cup.  It doesn't look exactly like this one, but this thing is amazing! Think of it working like a "Push Pop" the candy. You should invest if you like to bake! (I can't get the damn picture to work, so you get a link. Deal.) Adjust-A-Measure Cup

Beat together the shortening and butter until well mixed. Add the 1 1/2 cups of sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy.. at least 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking soda and salt.

Roll about 1 to 1.5 inch balls by hand and roll around in the separate cinnamon sugar coating. Flatten the balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, about 1/2 inch thick. Bake until light brown, about 12 minutes, 13 at most but that could be pushing it. Now they're going to look undercooked and still very pliable when they come out, that's how you want them to look.. DO NOT KEEP BAKING! These can be overcooked very easily. Set them on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes and then tightly seal them. They'll stay super chewy and soft, but dry out quickly.

Enjoy!! This is one of my favorites! And if done right, these are WAY better than the Pepperidge Farm Soft-baked cookies. I tell you no lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment