Friday, June 10, 2011

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. and can also be the yummiest!

Hello all!

Well, the fam and I had another pool day with Danielle after the boy's doctor's appointment.. I so need a pool at my house, I had too much fun. (Although, if you've seen my backyard, it wouldn't be very big.) Falon swam on her own for the first time, doggy paddling, of course! She cried bloody murder the whole time, but that's a minor detail. She SWAM! With no floaties! (I'll be surprised if she ever wants to get in another pool, she was so terrified!)

So in this issue (sounds like a magazine), I will be sharing an Overnight French Toast recipe. Now, I know I said this was going to be about baking, and it still is! We're not talking JUST desserts, people! Even though that's my forte, but this bakes in the oven, too!! Even works the same way as a dessert, use a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean!

These recipes could rival fellow blogger, Susan's, recipes -- hers are all about being healthy and whatnot! ;) Love ya girl! Here is her blog, and it's got awesome info! Adventures in my Kitchen - by Susan Dikeman

This recipe is quite easy, and just like the name of it states, you have to start it the night before. It's really good for when you have company over as it makes a lot.

You will need:

- 2 cups of brown sugar
 - 1 cup of butter (don't use margarine, it's not as wonderful as the fat of butter! For real - channeling my inner Paula Deen here!)
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 18 (or so) 1/2 inch slices of Italian or French bread - they don't have to be perfect. I found the best bread to use, in my opinion, is the HEB French bread from the bakery. It comes with two loaves and I use all of it.
- 3 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon in the microwave, make sure to stir it well to make a homogenous mixture. Lay some bread slices in the bottom of a well-greased 13x9 pan, it doesn't have to be a flat layer, they can overlap each other a bit. If you have holes between the slices, no big. Drizzle 1/3 of the butter mixture over the bread. Rinse and repeat ending with the drizzle, you should end up with 3 layers. (Okay, maybe not rinse.. but repeat for sure!)

Now mix together the milk, eggs, and sugar and pour the custard mixture all over the bread.

Cover with foil that has been sprayed with Pam so it doesn't stick to the french toast and refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, place the dish in a COLD oven, with the foil still on. Place some foil underneath if you don't have a deep dish, as it will bubble over. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, and then uncover and bake another 15 minutes to get a bit of a crust. Check to see if it's done with a toothpick (I've used a butter knife before too), it should have puffed up and if it hasn't, bake for another 15 minutes. It's supposed to be moist - not dry looking at all.

DO IT. It's awesome, and even good cold or heated up! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout!!! :-)
    Happy to hear that Falon was swimming on her own! Think she'd swim with Shalan now? haha
    this recipe sounded much tastier than the cereal I had for breaskfast....I'm going to HEB later today...guess I'm picking up some french bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if she gets to ride on Shalan's back??

    Yesss! You will not regret it!

    ReplyDelete